Friday, March 14, 2008

Best use of Marty McSorley in a rock song, ever

Kathleen Edwards, the brilliant Canadian alt-country songwriter has a new album out and what I've heard of it so far is freaking fantastic. But she gets 1 million bonus points for breaking off this reference in the song "I Make the Dough You Get the Glory:"

You're cool and cred like Fogerty,
I'm Elvis Presley in the 70s.
You're Chateau Neuf,
I'm Yellow Label.
You're the buffet,
I'm just the table.
I'm a Ford Tempo,
you're a Maserati.
You're The Great One,
I'm Marty McSorley.
You're the Concorde,
I'm economy.
I make the dough,
but you get the glory.

An amazing chours that manages to reference Elvis, CCR, fancy wine, cars, planes, and Hockey and not sound contrived. And not just hockey but a Wayne Gretzky/Marty McSorley trade reference to boot. I think I'm in love, and if only her lawyers would let me within 100 yards of her, I'd tell Kathleen that myself.

Because I suck at posting audio, you can check the song out at http://www.kathleenedwards.com/

No comments: