Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The moments that make a song

Sometimes three or four bars of music, or a seemingly random vocal line can totally make a song. It doesn't have to be profound or deep, just a simple snippet that pushes a song to the next level. Here are a few that jump to mind for me.

1) Born in the U.S.A, drum break. It sounds like the song is over, then Bruce counts out the beat again and the band drives it home. Gets the hair on your arms standing up when you've got the volume up loud.

2) Sick of Myself, Matthew Sweet. In the same category, that little guitar coda that Sweet adds to this song makes me smile every time I hear it. In concert, he stretches it out sometimes, adding five or six "one more times."

3) Brian Wilson, Barenaked Ladies. Don't ask me why, but for some reason when Ed Robertson adds the harmony vocal to the last verse's "Late night record shop" line, it's like I'm hearing the song for the first time all over again.

4) Bullet in the Blue Sky (live) u2, "Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister." This ad lib by Bono on "Rattle and Hum" is so corny when you think about, but so earnest, so straightforward..so...so U2, that it makes the song.

5) A Shot in the Arm, Wilco, "You followed me down/the neck to D" Tweedy loves throwing in words just for the sake of using words that sound amusing to him. But this snippet is just a perfect pop line. I always end up singing along.

I'm open to other suggestions. What moments make a song for you?

No comments: